Sunday, June 29, 2008

College Basketball in June?

If you're going through Lavinburger deprivation like I am you need to turn on ESPNU and hope to get lucky with a Brent and Steve announced game. At 2am on Sunday morning Brent and Steve were announcing last year's Stanford vs Arizona game. I miss college basketball so much. It made my day to hear the ESPN college basketball music. Summer is not a good season for sports. Anyway, it seemed like Brent and Steve were going to be good, serious announcers for this game since Erin andrews wasn't around, but they were definitely drunk and ridiculous.

Highlights of the game:

Remember the Kelvin Sampson scandal at Indiana? This game took place soon after news was released about it and Brent and Steve talked about it for a while. They thought Sampson would get away with the infractions. Wow, Brent and Steve really know their stuff. Brent said he's putting Steve's name in for the Indiana job if Sampson does get fired. I wonder if Steve was actually considered for the job. It would have been tragic for my college basketball viewing pleasure (and this blog) if he did leave the Lavinburger team. Anyone have any ideas on who Brent would would be teamed up with if
Steve ever left? And if you're wondering why Brent was going to put Steve's name in for the Indiana job, it's not because Lavin used to be a coach, it's because he doesn't use his cell phone a lot.

Apparently Lavinburger was intrigued by the ESPN bottom line. Brent is the human ticker according to Steve. Whenever he needs a score Brent has it (I find that hard to believe because most of the time Brent doesn't even know the score of the game he is announcing).

In a close game nearing halftime Brent and Steve are talking about where they ate dinner last night:
"You went to Italian in Tucson, what's wrong with you Lavin?" - Brent

Brent talking about Brook Lopez:
"You can't coach 7 foot. You know that cliche. TIMEOUT!"
(I don't get it and I'm not surprised. I would be worried if I did understand something Brent said)
(Brent loves saying ridiculous things before the timeout commercial. And he always says "TIMEOUT" right before the commercial)

"Coming down to money time now. That 5 minute mark." - Brent

Brent and Steve went ridiculous about a foul at 5:27 left. Steve was talking about water buffaloes (I remember him comparing people to water buffaloes in another game too). Brent was yelling at Lav. I tried to remember what they said but it was too crazy for me to remember.

College basketball in the summer, best thing ever.
Thank you ESPNU

No comments: